OSBORNE NATURE CENTER
The Osborne Park is located 5 miles south of Elkader on Highway 13 and features a Native Wildlife Exhibit, Pioneer Village, walking trails, open shelters, Nature and Welcome Center, gift shop.
April through October
All parks close at 10:30 pm
November through March
8:00am-4:00pm Monday- Friday
Closed on Saturdays and Sundays
All parks close at 10:30 pm
WHAT'S AVAILABLE HERE?
Access the Volga River from the lower Osborne Park area (old campground). Follow the road back past the gate, park in the grass lot and follow the pathway to the river. Park closes at 10:30 so make sure to have vehicle picked up by then.
Enjoy fishing in the Volga River and Osborne Pond. The pond has been recently dredged, fish habits installed, and stocked with blue gill, bass, and small mouth.
A kayak launch is available off the dock for those wanting to float the pond.
No swimming is allowed.
A playground is available at Osborne Pond.
Kids are also welcome to play on the train cars at the Welcome Center.
NATIVE ANIMAL EXHIBIT
Since the early 1970's a live native animal exhibit has been housed at Osborne Park. The exhibit continues to be the park's largest draw of visitors locally, nationally, and internationally.
Indoor restrooms at the Welcome Center. Pit toilets available at all other outdoor Osborne spaces.
The Osborne Pioneer Village currently consists of six buildings which replicate a typical small Iowa town in the late 1800's.
The village is the site of the popular Heritage Days, an event that takes you back to the true pioneer days with its crafts, foods, and other activities. This event is held the 2nd weekend in October.
Historical Accounts of Osborne
Many people ask the history of Osborne… when it was started, where it is headed and so on. The name of the center comes from the gentleman that first occupied this site in 1865 and named it after himself- Thomas Osborne. In 1878 Mr. Osborne began selling plots of land in order to form the town of Osborne. By 1880 Osborne had grown to include 50 full-time residents, a 2 ½ story hotel, blacksmith shop, general store, grain elevator and railroad depot.
However, due to low food prices the town began to fade until the town quickly shrank to less than 10 people. Today there is still one person and two dogs who boast that they live in the town of Osborne.
Osborne and the Clayton County Conservation Board
In the fall of 1960, the Clayton County Conservation Board purchased 60 acres of the original Osborne homestead and established it as a county park. The Conservation Board’s vision was to create a forest where students could learn in the great outdoors. In the spring of 1961, a variety of evergreen trees were planted, so that visitors could identify them. Today that stand of trees is 55 years old and continues to teach youngsters the importance of trees in Iowa.
This vision of “a place where students can learn” has been the guiding force for the development of the Osborne Center. In 1971 the Conservation Board purchased an additional 155 acres of land from Ben Casey. The land, located north across the Volga River, is used for archery, hiking, disc golf, cross country skiing, snow shoeing and birding. The first conservation board nature center was built in 1971. At that time the center hosted around 250 students a year. Today, two full-time naturalists serve nearly 15,000 students each year.
In September 1987, the Clayton County Conservation Board received a $150,000 grant to create a Visitor Welcome Center from the Iowa Department of Economic Development. The Conservation Board had to match this grant with money donated from thousands of people! Evidence of this support can still be seen today inside the Osborne Center in the form of a money tree. Stop by the Welcome Center to learn more about travel opportunities in Iowa, visit with a certified Iowa Travel Counselor and pick up brochures and maps. While there, check out the Iowa Room Gift Shop. Come visit with us and see what great and unusual products are available right here at Osborne!